Part of the Story
Part of the Story is a unique book-based program that engages teens, grades 9 – 12, in discussing topics with real-life impact. Teens can then create a call to action for their community as a response to the themes addressed in the book.
Watch this short video from Part of the Story 2019!
Part of the Story 2022
The 2022 Part of the Story book is… The Grief Keeper by Alexandra Villasante
- Alexandra Villasante will lead an interactive workshop on her book, her writing process, and immigration themes.
- Receive a free copy of The Grief Keeper while supplies last!
- Participants will engage in several small group activities surrounding the theme of immigration.
- Staff from LAMAR Advertising will run a Billboard Design 101 session. Students will work to create an impactful billboard design based on the book. Designs will be evaluated by a panel of judges and the winning design will be displayed on billboards around York County.
- Event will be held at Kreutz Creek Library on April 20, 2022!
- Questions? Email Youth Services Program Manager, Jackie Dell-Shearer at [email protected]
About the Author
Alexandra Villasante has always loved telling stories—though not always with words. She has a BFA in Painting and an MA in Combined Media (that’s art school speak for making work out of anything). Born in New Jersey to immigrant parents, Alex has the privilegio of dreaming in both English and Spanish.
When she’s not writing or painting, Alexandra plans conferences and fundraisers for non-profits. She lives with her family in the semi-wilds of Pennsylvania. Her debut Young Adult novel, The Grief Keeper, was an Indies Next, Indies Introduce and Fall 2019 Junior Library Guild Selection. The Grief Keeper is on ALA’s Rainbow Book List 2020 and is the winner of the 2020 Lambda Literary Award for LGBTQ Children’s Literature/Young Adult Fiction.
Interested in Attending?
RSVP via this link to reserve your FREE copy of The Grief Keeper by Alexandra Villasante!