RSVP A Reading Journey Celebration
Saturday, March 19, 10am; LIVE on Zoom
Come along on a whimsical ‘Reading Journey’ with local celebrities that will share why reading is so valuable. Get ready to read, dance and sing along together. Pick up a FREE follow-along craft kit at designated library locations, while supplies last.
What is 1000 Books Before Kindergarten?
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is simple: read 1000 books with your newborn, infant, toddler, or preschooler before they begin kindergarten – and they’ll benefit for years to come! 1000 Books makes it fun to build a daily habit of reading.
Why read 1000 Books Before Kindergarten?
You are your child’s first teacher and your home is where your child begins to learn.
Did you know that in the first few years of life, your child builds more than 1 million new brain connections every second?
Your baby’s brain is growing at an incredible rate! By reading aloud with your child, they:
- Build vocabulary
- Become familiar with rich language patterns
- Identify reading as a pleasurable activity
(From Harvard University’s Center for the Developing Child &; Straight Talk About Reading: How Parents Can Make a Difference During the Early Years by Susan Hall and Louisa Moats)
By reading aloud with young children, you give your child a smart start.
It is never too early to begin! You can start reading with your child from the day they are born until the day they begin kindergarten. Infants learn about language by listening to adults talk.
By talking, reading stories and asking your baby lots of questions, you are building their vocabulary and letting them know that questions are invitations for a response.
Just follow these few steps:
- Register your child for their own library card
- Register for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten on Beanstack
- Visit your local library to pick up your registration packet, have your child's picture taken, and place it into their 1000 Book passport
That's it! You're ready to start your reading adventure together!
Read & Log
- Get some books! We have some great recommendations here. Read with your child whenever and wherever you can.
- Track your progress online through Beanstack, York County Libraries' reading challenge and logging platform. Available online and on mobile app.
- New to Beanstack? Visit our Beanstack Tips & Tricks Page for details and tutorials!
- Read your first 100 books, then come to the library for your first passport stamp and more!
- Return every hundred books for more passport stamps and special prizes at 500 and 1000 books.
- Snap a picture with our achievement signs to share! Don't forget to tag your posts with #1000booksB4K and #YorkLibraries!
- Attend an annual countywide celebration ceremony to celebrate reading 1000 Books Before Kindergarten!
- If you read three books a day with your child, you’ll finish in just one year.
- Read two books a day with your child, you’ll finish in two years.
- Read one book a day with your child, you’ll finish in three years.